Friday, 9 January 2015

Life in Luang Prabang



A typical street scene played over and over again in Laos.  Emma was very pleased to be buying fresh mangoes from this woman.  They are sold by the kilo, 10,000 kips or about $1.50.  The average person in Laos makes about $1400US/year.  No need to haggle too much over the price. Today I managed to buy a kilo of oranges again for $10000 kips only speaking in Laos! - Keith


I was a happy girl with my mango smoothie walking down the main street in Luang Prabang. I thought it was phenomenal and It was prepared in a cart.  The main Wat at the Royl Palace is behind us. -Emma


We ate big bowls of piping hot, delectable noodle soup from this woman for two days in a row. Despite the primitive conditions of her shack (no electricity, just a fire), we decided that it would be safe. I thought of my friend Lorraine because we based this decision on the fact that she was well put together with lipstick, earrings and a tidy hairdo. The second day, we even added... meat! - Steve

    
Keith contemplates the Nam Khan from the top of Mt Phousi (pronounced poosy). This hill (really) is in the middle of town right in front of the Royal Palace. Emma and I went to a storytelling night where they told the tale of the demanding Queen who asked Hanuman, the monkey God to fly to the mountains in the north of Laos to collect her favourite mushrooms. He kept returning with the wrong ones, until in exasperation he brought the top of one of the mountains and placed it in front of the Royal Palace for her to choose the mushrooms she wanted. 
If you look carefully you can spot a very ornate looking golden wat in the distance at the foot of the mountain.


"Stop! ... In the name of love, before you break my heart." Sorry, I couldn't resist. - Steve
Tomorrow we begin our two day trip up the Mekong River to Huay Xai, where we will trek into the jungle and swing with the gibbons!

1 comment:

  1. Brad: Ohhhh I can't go to sleep now - I'm too excited and want to see pics of you all swinging with gibbons!!!
    Chloe: Sounds like fun, I wish I were there too!
    Rob: Love the pictures and the funny commentary - especially Emma's! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete