Monday, 9 March 2015

Sydney, Australia



This is the Bogey Hole in Newcastle, North of Sydney.  Long ago the warden of the prison made the convicts create a swimming pool  out of rock for his personal use.  It is filled with sea water when waves crash over the sides.  If you are sitting in the edge like Steve and Emma you are pushed into the pool by the crashing waves, very refreshing!


This is the iconic Bondi Beach. We had a great day here with excellent body surfing waves. We then did the gorgeous coastal walk to Tamarama and Bronte beaches. Emma actually preferred Bronte because the beach rises more steeply so she could get lots of crashing waves closer to shore. On our last day in Sydney, Keith had a shopping/sightseeing day downtown while Emma and I decided to make another trip to the beaches. She stayed in the water non-stop for an hour and 40 minutes, playing with three different kids who came and went. We then headed back to Bondi where the tide was lower, meaning that Emma came out and caught a few good waves herself! 


WATER!!

I see a wave of white coming to knock me over.
I hear a whoosh of water as a wave rolls over me.
I feel my knees hit my head as I tumble In the wave.
I taste salt when the wave hits me and I swallow water.
I smell seaweed as I trip and fall onto a patch of seaweed.
I am extraordinarily happy and alive! - Emma



Ahhh Sydney... I've decided that you are my favourite city in the world. I lived in your trendy heart, Paddington for several months, many years ago, and found you hard to leave behind. Your arts scene is vibrant, your harbour spectacular, your climate lovely, and your surf beaches divine. Best of all, you know how to have a good time, putting on some of the best drag shows anywhere. Imagine our luck being here the week before Mardi Gras (I did the planning). While Keith puts Emma to bed, I have a long overdue date with you! 
First stop, the GAYTM to get some cash... and we thought our Canadian banks were LGBT friendly?
After that, North Indian Flavour for 2 curries + butter chicken for only $8 (this is a steal for dinner in Sydney), followed by a beer at the Stonewall Bar with Dame Polly Petrie hosting her Sunday night show. Finally ending the night with an incredible drag extravaganza at ARQ followed by dancing till the wee hours. 
Alas, family obligations call, and I must leave you again.... but don't fret my gorgeous girl, for I will never forget you.  -Steve

1 comment:

  1. Hi Steve. I didn't realize you lived in Sydney. It's great that you could go back for a visit.

    ReplyDelete